Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Nearly-Death Experience & Cinnamon-choc chip sour cream cake (with recipe)

So according to my workmates, I almost got run over by a car yesterday.
Indeed that is a bit of an exaggeration. So there I was, crossing the road at the pedestrian crossing. 3 cars were coming down the hill on my right. The first one stopped while I was walking across the road. The second car was going down the slope so fast that it could not stop in time. SQUEAK! BANG! It crashed into the first car and created a huge dent at its rear. The impact made the first car moved a few metres forward. By then I was already at the traffic island. As I looked back I thought "Oh no I think it was me who caused the accident?!" But I was five minutes away from being late to work so I just kept walking. A colleague of mine and a couple of other people happened to be standing around in the car park located slightly above the road, which made it a perfect platform for watching this little event. It wasn't until their graphic description of accident when I realized I could've been hit by a car for real if I was two seconds slower! So I said a little prayer to thank God for protecting me every second of my life. And I ate one of the double choc chip muffins that Susie bought. Yum.
And yes, I took extra care when I crossed the road today.

Considering I had the morning free today I wasn't gonna waste it on packing (that will be tomorrow morning's work). I made the cinnamon-chocolate chip sour cream cake from the recipe on smittenkitchen. And it was AMAZING. So delicious. I brought some to work and people were asking me for the recipe. And someone reckoned it tasted like some sort of French cakes. Any food from France has gotta taste good right?
The cake turned out extremely dense and moist. It was so chocolatey and cinnamonie. Perfect for a sweet tooth like moi!

A slightly modified version:

50g unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup pack brown sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
300 mL sour cream

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

Splash of milk

Chocolate chips - as much as you like
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to175°C.

In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar, then mix in the egg yolks and vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder together into a separate bowl. Alternately add sour cream and then dry ingredients into butter mixture. Beat eggs whites until stiff, then fold into batter. Add splash of milk. Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon together in a separate, small dish.

In square baking pan lined with baking paper, pour in half of the cake batter. Sprinkle the top with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and half of the chocolate chips. Pour remaining batter on top, sprinkling the top with the remaining cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

Special treat for breakfast: homemade 豆漿!

No comments:

Post a Comment