Monday, June 10, 2013

Antoinette Revisit

There are a few things that make a restaurant perfect for a girl's night out: yummy food, cosy chairs, relaxing ambience. My first visit to Antoinette for brunch was enjoyable so it came to my mind again when I arranged a dinner date with a girl friend. Most of their outlets do not accept reservations so we went to the one on Penhas Road to avoid the annoyingly long queue. 
Bouchées aux Fruits de Mer (Seafood in puff pastry case) ordered by my companion
I almost thought that they made a mistake when my order arrived. Instead of the burger buns that I imagined, Burger Antoinette looked more like a sandwich to me. Never the less the chicken patty was tasty and the pan-fried apple slice was juicy and refreshing. The pommery mustard mayonnaise added a mild heat. But I was not very satisfied by the potato crisps that were served alongside the salad as I had expected the "chips" on the menu to be French fries. Some fluffy chunky chips would have gone much better with the sandwich than the thin, greasy crisps.
 Iced chocolate
Display of chocolates, macaroons and cakes at the counter
Le Royale was a lovely combination of chocolate and hazelnuts. The smooth and rich dark chocolate mousse and the sponge cake at the bottom sandwiched a layer of airy almond meringue. The hazelnut feuilletine in the middle gave it a crispy and nutty contrast in texture. 
Kyoto was a much lighter dessert. The mascarpone mousses outside was infused with green tea. Hidden in the centre was the creamy chestnut crémeux which was a delightful complement to the mousse. 
The Charlotte macaroon had vanilla cream and strawberry coulis as its filling. It was too sweet for me and I could not taste any element of strawberry. But I have never been a big fan of macaroons so I am probably not the best judge.

I could not help but be reminded of Angelina in Paris by the range of desserts and the shop design of Antoinette. Dining at the classically French tearoom was such a decadent culinary experience which I believe would be difficult to exceed. Unfortunately the magical feeling that Antoinette first gave me has much diminished. I also was not impressed by their service, especially when the restaurant was not that full. My water glass only got refilled after many requests and it took them a good five minutes to get us forks for the desserts. While the desserts were delectable, their main courses were quite overpriced. I know I will not be in a hurry to return for the third time.

Antoinette
30 Penhas Road

No comments:

Post a Comment