Monday, August 2, 2010

Inception

You know how there are films that just absolutely blows your mind and makes you wonder "where on earth did they come up with this idea from"? Inception is one of those. I went to see it today with Winnie and it is no doubt one of the most intriguing movies I have ever seen. I do not think my brain has had to work this hard to understand a film for a long time!
Its inspiration cannot be any simpler: dreams, the projection of the subconscious. Except it takes the concept sooooooo much further. Based on the assumption that technologies have been developed to allow entry to other people's dreams to manipulate the events that happen in the dreams, the movie tells the story of Cobb (DiCaprio) and his team who invade other people's minds and steal top secret ideas. Except this time, the job offer was not an "extraction". It was an "inception"; they were to plant an idea in the target's subconscious.
This amazing storyline is delivered by an exceptional cast. DiCaprio is amazing, as usual. He is so convincing and just has the ability to draw you in deeper. Marion Cortillard is flawless in her delivery and is one of my favourite actresses. And I'm surprised by the performance of Joseph Gorden-Livett and Ellen Page. He is so different from he was in 500 Days of Summer!
The music is beautifully written. The photography is beautiful. The setting of the movie goes from a beautiful beach and the New York city to a snowy mountain. Besides its emphasis on the emotional journey of Cobb, it is also action-packed, which actually reminds me of the Matrix. The plot is so intense I think I forgot to breathe at a few occasions.
All in all Inception is such an original, intelligent and well-delivered movie. There was not one moment when I did not enjoy it. Despite of the complexity of the plot, it does not contradict itself in any way that I can think of. It challenges your mind and makes you want to watch it again just so you can fully appreciate the experience.
Not a movie to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment