Saturday, September 21, 2013

Motoring Heritage Day

To me car talk is as foreign as Hebrew. My descriptions of motor vehicles usually start and end with its colour. But that did not stop me from paying a visit to the Motoring Heritage Day at Tanjong Pagar Railway Station. 
Videos from the Grand Prix in 1960's
 One of the vintage bicycles
which is identical to one that was given to the late John Paul II as a gift
Sketches made by visitors on site

 The very flashy Alfa Romeo
 I wonder what this honk would sound like! 
Cute frog eye lights and emerald green
This would make a sweet wedding ride.

We joined one of the guided tours, which included briefing on each model by an enthusiastic volunteer who was occasionally joined by the owners of the vehicles themselves. I certainly am not fluent in the car talk but I have definitely learnt a thing or two. In a way vintage cars are not that much different from an ideal feminine figure from the 1950's; both were voluptuous, curvy and glamorous. 

This was my second time in Tanjong Pagar Railway Station that is no longer in operation and my fondness for it has definitely grown. From its exterior façade in art deco style and the lobby with plenty of natural light flooding through large windows, decorated with long panels of paintings depicting daily activities of early day Malaysians, to the long empty platform and the part of rails which has survived after the closure of the station, everything about it oozed a sense of elegant nostalgia. Instead of spoiling the day out, the light drizzle did the opposite by enhancing the beauty of the venue. I hope this place will continue to be put to good use with more interesting exhibitions!

No comments:

Post a Comment