Tuesday, April 27, 2010

When did we stop being kids?

It's weird how when life gets to a certain stage, things start repeating themselves, only in the opposite direction. I remember when I was still in primary school, I would call my mum all the time when she worked at the hospital. It might be problems with homework, complaining about my brother, hoping to get Drumstick ice-cream for dessert. I would ring the hospital whenever I needed anything and I would get a little disappointed if she couldn't get to the phone straight away. And about 10 years later, I am the one answering the call and trying to get off the phone 'coz I have to go back to my job. All of a sudden your parents are the ones with all the time in the world while you work 48 hours a week. They are happily living off their retirement pension and you are the one with a mortgage. They are travelling everywhere whenever they want to when you don't even know when you can get your next annual leave. Instead of a tag-along of your parents, you are getting wedding invitations with your name on it. Not long ago you were a student and then you got a full-time job and you are officially an adult.
Growing up is not easy, but it is inevitable. You can try delaying it for as long as you want but eventually you'll have to bear the responsibility and just make that jump. But lucky for us there's that little bit of freedom and independence to make adulthood at least bitter-sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment