Thursday, March 18, 2010

Homemade Muesli Bars

I've gone through phases with muesli bars. For a while it was a must-have in my emergency snack cupboard. I almost lived on it during WYD in 2008. But in the past 8 months I don't think I've had a single muesli bar. All of a sudden I find them dry, bland, unsatisfying. Lately I have started looking for baking recipes for healthier snacks. It wasn't until I came across some granola bars recipe I was reminded my previous liking for them. After stocking up on some seeds and nuts, I had my first attempt at home-made muesli bars.

These bars are really delicious and chewy and full of flavours. So simple to make and a thousand times tastier than the commercial ones. Ingredients that you can try include: chopped dried apples/dried apricot/dried dates, blueberries, peanut butter, almond extract, ground flax seed, choc chips, walnuts, sesame seeds, Rice Crispy, 1/4 all spice, choc chips etc. The list is endless. They can be kept well in the freezer. Wrap them individually in baking paper/foil to prevent them from sticking to each other.

2 cups rolled oats
1/5 pack brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup mixed dried fruits and nuts
1/4 cup mixed seeds
flaked almond
1/2 cup honey
110g apple sauce
1 egg, beaten
1/3 olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract

1) Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees C. Line and grease baking square.
2) In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients evenly. Make a well in the centre and pour in egg, vanilla extract, oil, honey and apple sauce. Mix well and press mixture into the prepared pan.
3) Bake in the oven until bars begin to turn golden at the edges and slightly undone in the centre, about 20-30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and cut into bars while still warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment